Jun 11, 2012

Korean cuisine, you are my Everest

One issue that keeps coming up when I tell people about The Epic Adventure (see what I did there?) is this: "Isn't the food...like... weird?"

The simple answer is no. It's not weird. It is, however, very spicy and contains a lot of meat. The meat thing might not be an issue to most Americans, but if you know me in real life, you know that I have been a vegetarian for the last 8 years.

"But Meg, what are you going to eat?!" When in Rome, my friends. When in Rome.

This brings me to the meat of this post (pun absolutely intended). I have begun the slow process of easing meat back into my diet.  At this point, I am proud to announce that on Saturday, while at a bar to watch the Celtics crash and burn in game 7 against the Heat, I ate... wait for it... A CHICKEN WING! That's right, friends.  I, Megan Peet, held a chicken wing in my bare hands... and ate it. It was even the kind that had a bone in the middle.

Aside: It may very well be true that all chicken wings (the food, not the poultry anatomy) have a bone in the middle. Forgive me. I am new to your meat-eating ways.

 Naturally, the people I was with were aware of what a momentous occasion this was, and watched me take my first bite with baited breath. I think they were secretly hoping that I would have some dramatic reaction, along the lines of gasping with pleasure and/or projectile vomiting. To those friends (you know who you are), all I can say is that I'm sorry I'm such a champion. Much to their disappointment, absolutely nothing happened.

As sad as they were, this was a very reassuring piece of information to me. The knowledge that I can eat greasy, fatty meat without my stomach being all "OMFG I HATE YOU" is one less thing I have to worry about.

Now to the other issue at hand, which is developing a tolerance for Korean spices. Now, I'm pretty good at tolerating spicy food-- for a white girl (a comment that provoked a chuckle from an Indian friend of mine recently).

My goals in this department are twofold:

1: Become more tolerant of the presence of hot chilis in my food

2: Develop an amicable relationship with that Korean staple: Kimchi

I would like to take this moment to introduce my two new friends:


I've started drizzling a few drops of Sriracha sauce on just about everything I eat. My aforementioned friend said this was definitely the way to increase spicy tolerance. I believe her. 

Also, last night I made Kimchi Fried Rice.  My theory is that the best way to get acquainted with a new food is to cook with it. When you cook with something, you become accustomed to the way it smells, the way it feels, how it reacts when cooked, and how it interacts with other foods.  

I think (hope) my fried rice turned out. It certainly smelled tasty. I haven't actually tasted it yet. It's currently sitting in a tupperware container so I can eat it at work tonight.

Before you ask, no, I didn't add any meat to it. 

Baby steps, people.

Update: The fried rice is delicious. I drizzled some sriracha on it before I brought it to work, and I still found myself thinking "This isn't even that spicy." Look at me go!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment