Sep 24, 2012

Turning a Corner

One of  my "problem children" just came into my classroom all by himself. Surprising, because during after school class he essentially doesn't acknowledge my existence. But today, he saw me in my classroom and walked right up to me to say hello. This is rare from my students, but what happened next is unprecedented. Instead of shyly running away (like they all do), he stayed, swaying nervously and wringing his little hands as he tried to think of what to say next. I asked him how old he was. He paused, counted on his fingers, and said with a smile that he was nine. Then I asked him if he likes English. He smiled even bigger, nodded and said "yes!" Then he looked at my computer screen, (I was on Gmail), pointed and said "Google?" I said "Yes! Google!" He smiled, said "Bye!" and ran out of the room.

I think my heart just grew 3 sizes.

1 comment:

  1. I think this is one of those rare teacher moments that make the occupation so rewarding!

    ReplyDelete