Jul 6, 2013

Notes from a Korean Staff Trip

I just returned from an overnight staff retreat with the rest of the teachers at my school. It was probably one of the most classically Korean 24 hours of my life. Also, just to clear up any ambiguity in the tone of this post, I had a blast. My colleagues are hilarious and fun to hang out with, despite the fact that we communicate mostly through pantomime and broken Konglish. 

Friday
 5:30pm
Have been on the bus for 2.5 hours. Vice Principal has been talking into a mic up front for 2.49 hours. Coworker and I have taken one nap each and secretly watched half an episode of New Girl with K-subs on her phone.

6:00pm 
VP just handed out presents to the staff. They were all variations of this: 

6:45pm 
Arrived at our hotel. Sharing the 3-bedroom suite with 11 women. Let the bathroom wars commence.

7:00 
Eating dinner. It's raw fish. Have already taken multiple shots with my colleages of what can only be described as Korean berry manischewitz. Principal is making the rounds with the bottle. 



8:00 
Still eating. More importantly, still drinking. 

8:30 
Joined the other young female teachers for some air and and a quick selca session.  

9:30 
Heading to noraebang with my principal and fellow staff members, because Korea.

10:00 
Just completed a killer rendition of Hard Day's Night...solo, of course, as I was the only English speaker in the room. Principal was impressed. 

11:00 
Still singing.

11:30
Back at the hotel. Watching colleagues throw each other into the pool. 


12:30 
Soaking wet. Was thrown into pool. Used the opportunity to shout a lot of bad words in English because nobody could understand me. 

1:00am
Bedtime.

Saturday
6:00am  
Wondering why in God's name is everyone else in the room awake when breakfast isn't until 8.

8:00am 
Breakfast. Beginning to understand why everyone woke up so early. Wishing I'd been awake longer before I had to face this guy.  Principal just cracked open a bottle of soju.


8:45am
Back on the bus. I believe we're going hiking. Or to a river. Either way, VP has reclaimed her spot at the front with the mic. 

9:30am
Apparently we're going hiking. 

11:00am
Back from hiking. Consisted of walking to a river and playing in it for a while before turning around. Alarmed my coworkers by walking in the sunlight instead of avoiding it. Told them I want my hair to get lighter. They said I have magic hair. 

12:00pm
Lunch time. Maekgeolli is flowing.

2:00pm
Visited some sort of museum to a writer. It's in a very pretty spot. 


2:30pm
Eating again. Pajeon and makgeolli. Am in utter awe of my colleague's drinking abilities.


4:00pm 
On the bus back to Seoul. Coworkers have discovered that the bus is equipped for noraebang, which they are now participating in with great enthusiasm. 


6:00pm
Home.


No comments:

Post a Comment