Feb 28, 2013

Things you learn when traveling alone

Oh hey, guys. Remember me? Sorry for the rather extended leave of absence. As I said before, I had a Very Special Visitor for about a week and a half, and now I'm wrapping up my vacation with a little sojourn to Hong Kong. This is my first time traveling alone, and I've learned a few things about myself. One is that I don't care about food. I just don't. Before I left, several different people squealed at the mention of my plans, admonishing me to "try ALL the food." Have I? Nope. I haven't even tried a little bit of the food. It's not that I don't think I'll like it, it's just that when I'm experiencing a new place, food isn't very high on my list of priorities. Also, I get nervous at the thought of eating in a restaurant alone.

This brings me to my next realization: I don't like traveling alone. This surprised me because I really like BEING alone. Like... A lot. Anyone who has spent more than a day with me can attest to this. Poor VSV got the full effect during the aforementioned visit. The reason I don't like traveling alone may sound paradoxical, but it's true: traveling alone means talking to a lot of strangers. When you travel alone, everyone you talk to is a stranger. They talk to you in the hostel common area. They talk to you while you're waiting for your flight. You even room with them if you don't have a private room. Call me a mean little hermit, but I really do not like talking to strangers. I don't know why, it just makes me uncomfortable.

Conclusion: I'd much rather have a trusted travel buddy to talk to and who can interact with strangers on my behalf.

To make up for this boring and ultimately uninformative post, please enjoy these pictures from my last few days in Hong Kong.











1 comment:

  1. Long weekends in May and June. Plans to be made, trips to be booked :)

    ReplyDelete